Skip to main content

Kuretake's Dream Galaxy Pen - part 2: the test

I wrote recently that the company Kuretake from Japan seems to show more interest in fountain pens. Their unique material (deer antler) used for the barrels makes their pens collectible pens.

I was lucky that I could borrow one of their pens.

I had reported the unpacking and the pen measurements in report part 1


In short, a nice pen which is my preferred pen size. It writes a European M size and delivers a lot of ink.

The pen has a Bock nib, size M - which means that you will find this VERY broad - if you, like me, are used to Japanese nib sizes. However, it is a pleasure of smoothness.

I once tested Bock nibs of different nib sizes. Bock M is the first size where you will not experience any feedback of any paper. With size F, you can feel already feedback - with MF, I was not sure if I did feel or not. Above M is not my world. Below F, I use my Sailor pens for writing Kanji. If I can chose, I usually chose European F for writing Western text.
 
I recommend to change your writing style as this Kuretake pen is a quite wet writer. In the beginning of my writing tests, I regularly got inky fingers from the wet lines on the paper.

The pen lies perfectly in my hand. It is the exact size with which I feel comfortable. I also like that the cap is screwed on. A full turn of the barrel and the cap can be taken off. I say it in this way because of my handling style, I keep the cap in my left hand during writing. I have several other pens which need, that I put the pen back into the cap to avoid drying out. With the Kuretake pen, this is not necessary. It doesn't dry out quickly. You really have to put it down and wait some minutes - still then, it quickly restarts writing. And it also didn't dry out when letting it in my desk for a week.

A picture of a text written with the Kuretake pen is shown in the picture below (the ink is Waterman Serenity Blue).


I cannot imagine writing Japanese Kanji easily with such a broad nib. However, my wife likes this nib very much and she can - without any problems.

My efforts are shown in the photo on the left side.
You can the big difference of the Bock M and the Sailor M.



I have measured the line size in the Western text above and found that it varies between 0.55 and 0.65mm.

Fortunately, the pen was delivered with an ink converter as it uses a lot of ink. I also prefer to use "my inks".

I had to wash out the pen with diluted soap water. Before I washed it out, it had some ink flow problems with quick strokes top-down as in "l", and "k". After the wash-out, the problems were gone. Not so unusual for new pens and the washing should become standard procedure before using a new pen. However, it is so difficult to not use a new pen immediately.

I would love this pen if it had a F-nib. But perhaps, the feed is a standard Bock feed and then it should be easy to switch nibs. I should ask.

I use this pen everyday for writing my "todo" notes and I love that it always starts flawlessly.

You might want to have a look for this pen when you are coming to Japan.

(I will edit this report, if I feel that I have forgotten something important.)







Comments

  1. What material is the feed made of? Size 6 Bock nibs come with both ABS and ebonite feeds...

    Congratulation on your new purchase.

    Cheers,

    BT

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slimming down

Update: I started selling - see my sales pages : In order to sell most of my pens, I first had to made up my mind what I want to keep. May I present here my target collection, the ones to keep. It is a page in progress, there are still many holes in the data. Waldmann Pens Counting from the left, pen 1-4, 7-10 are the same model: the model Precieux (Deep Wide) Lines in Sterling silver. Pen 8-10 are the original model (fountain pen, mechanical pencil and ball-pen). Pen 1-4 are the yellow-gold vermeil version of it (mechanical pencil, rollerball, ball-pen and fountain pen) and pen 7 is the rose-gold vermeil version of the fountain pen. The rose-gold fountain pen has a rose-gold-plated 18k nib. Pen 6 is the same model in steel, coated in black (Waldmann P2000). But it is not a typical steel, it is  a recycled steel from gun barrels recycled by the German police. It is a limited edition, meanwhile sold out. Read more about it here . Unfortunately, the silver model is meanwhile also ou

For Sale

These pens are all for sale now at http://www.mkengel.de/pensales/pensales.html   The Big Ones Counting from the left: pen 1-2 are Pelikan Souveraen M1000 in F: one is sold and one is kept on hold pen 3-4 are Montblanc 149, probably F - one has been sold, one is available pen 5 is a Sailor KoP Standard, 21k nib in M: kept on hold pen 6 is the Dodeca made by Lotus Pens from India, it has a Bock #380 18k in F. This pen started as a custom pen request and became one of Lotus Pens' standard products. pen 7 is the Virat, also made by Lotus Pens . This Virat is slightly modified upon my request. It also has a Bock #380 18k in F.   Mixed  Pen 1 is a Sailor Profit21 (1911L), limited edition from the Japanese department store Mitsukoshi - eventually available Pen 2 is the piston filler Monte Grappa from Montegrappa in coral, with a steel nib in EF. When I bought it, either the maker or the seller added a box of cartridges. Very nice but I still haven't found out how I can

Pen box - Japanese style

My rotation pens rested in several boxes here and there on my book shelves. I always wanted them to be together in one box. So, I bought one at Yahoo Auctions. It is a wooden box lacquered with urushi, unused, stored hidden for many years in some drawers.  Nice, isn't it. It is an old storage box for writing tools and paper. But to use it as a pen box, there is some protection necessary - otherwise the lacquer will soon suffer.  But such an inset is probably not commercially available. So today, I decided to make one by myself - using Japanese paper "Washi". I chose a paper in which gold and silver flakes are mixed into the fibres. It is quite thick and, additionally, the backside is coated with gold. (This gold and silver is certainly made from aluminium.) I folded the paper that the valley is 15mm broad and the crests are 5mm high. The backside then looks like this. Some adhesive into the crests.  A little bit of persuasion with some clip