Skip to main content

ISOT "International Stationary and Office Products Tokyo" Trade Fair

Last week, I went to the 30th ISOT trade fair, where ISOT is the abbreviation of "International Stationary and Office Products Tokyo". This trade fair is held twice a year in January and June at one of the main exhibition grounds of Tokyo, Tokyo Big Sight (Tokyo International Exhibition Centre).
As most of the readers will not have the opportunity to visit, I will show some pictures of the Tokyo Big Sight centre. It is located on a man-made little island in the Tokyo Bay; link to Google Maps


As you can see, it is big. The exhibition takes place behind this tower and in a near second exhibition centre.

While the pamphlet says, 340 companies would present their products, a short count of the number of booths reduces this number to 200. This was also my impression. Among these 200 were at least 100 from China, Taiwan and Korea. Only a few companies from other countries were present. If I compare with last year, I think much less Japanese companies were present. Are stationary products out?
The only really famous Japanese company present was Kuretake. I am sure stationary insiders will consider other companies also as famous names.

Kuretake copied the ink mixing station of Sailor. They call it "ink cafe".





 
The Chinese and Taiwanese companies were often not targeting end users but searched for Japanese customers to provide products for stationary and 100-yen-shops.

Fountain pens were only shown by one company - made in China, nothing remarkable, looks like pens from Jinhao or similar companies: Fonte.


Even ball-pens were few, all made in China. Only Kunitake showed some of their expensive fountain pens made from antler.

Notebooks were shown from several companies, from low to high quality. The low-quality products were made for 100-yen shops. Often, I wasn't allowed to test the paper quality.
Many of these notebooks had some really nice covers, from paper, fabric or wood. However, not every notebook had fountain-pen friendly paper.




Another trend was scented notebooks. Adding scent to paper is nothing new, I remember 15 years ago meeting a Chinese researcher with scented business cards. I quarantined that card immediately, copied it and then threw it away. The notebooks I saw (and smelled) this time were not so intrusive. Some smelled even nice. Still not sure, if I would want them.
I liked especially the notebooks from Scent-in, a company from Taiwan. This company prints the scents using concentrated oils. You can their products below: drawer liners, wrapping paper and notebooks. The notebooks have a fabric exterior, are thread-stitched, glued and case-bond. They contain 160 pages of a fountain-pen friendly paper - I didn't test them by myself.
There was also another company which presented scented notebooks, not bad but not as nice as the notebooks from Scent-in. I can even imagine Limited Editions with different smells.




 Ningbo Huart Stationary makes notebooks from eco-friendly material with some nice wooden covers and so-called stone paper or washable paper. What is exactly is, I couldn't find out.


Another company with notebooks having lovely covers is Cru-Cial from Japan. They have extraordinary notebooks, the cover is beautiful and the paper is extremely good, no bleed-through, no ghosting.



However, these covers are permanently fixed to the notebooks and some of the notebooks are Japanese-style used for getting stamps at different shrines and temples - see an unfolded example in the picture below. Many of these notebooks are sold out at their online shop.


The company Keep-a-notebook from Taiwan also had some nice-looking notebooks. However, I didn't test their papers. Look at their homepage for details.


I met with the maker of a famous notebook who told me why there are no 68g Tomoe paper notebooks. 68g Tomoe paper is only order-made and you have to order a lot of it. So, this paper is too expensive to be used in notebooks. The 52g paper is always in stock at the producer, so easy to obtain in smaller batches.

A company from Thailand, Papery, showed a notebook on which you could write underwater. It dries without any change to the paper. Missed to take a photo as too many people were looking at it. It was impressive.


Watanabe Bookbinding presented their notebooks. No bleed-through but ghosting.



The Taiwanese maker EVARICH has a lot of nice-looking notebooks. I also couldn't test these.




Some of them have unique shapes.


I even saw a shoulder bag made for notebooks - made by "和 design".


Wao!Pop is the maker of greeting cards with some impressive pop-out structures.




At the same time were several other exhibitions which I could visit with my ISOT ticket, Giftex Tokyo, Health&Beauty Goods Expo Tokyo, Interior Tokyo, Design Tokyo.

If you like ball-pens and flowers.




Or how about this one:



Finally, I met with the founder of a DIY digital camera where you can choose the look and the details of the camera by yourself.



Addition: If you comment, please do not add links into your comment, if they are not related to the content of this post. I cannot edit these links out, therefore, I will not allow such comments to be published.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slimming down

Update: I started selling - see my sales pages : In order to sell most of my pens, I first had to made up my mind what I want to keep. May I present here my target collection, the ones to keep. It is a page in progress, there are still many holes in the data. Waldmann Pens Counting from the left, pen 1-4, 7-10 are the same model: the model Precieux (Deep Wide) Lines in Sterling silver. Pen 8-10 are the original model (fountain pen, mechanical pencil and ball-pen). Pen 1-4 are the yellow-gold vermeil version of it (mechanical pencil, rollerball, ball-pen and fountain pen) and pen 7 is the rose-gold vermeil version of the fountain pen. The rose-gold fountain pen has a rose-gold-plated 18k nib. Pen 6 is the same model in steel, coated in black (Waldmann P2000). But it is not a typical steel, it is  a recycled steel from gun barrels recycled by the German police. It is a limited edition, meanwhile sold out. Read more about it here . Unfortunately, the silver model is meanwhile also ou

Pen box - Japanese style

My rotation pens rested in several boxes here and there on my book shelves. I always wanted them to be together in one box. So, I bought one at Yahoo Auctions. It is a wooden box lacquered with urushi, unused, stored hidden for many years in some drawers.  Nice, isn't it. It is an old storage box for writing tools and paper. But to use it as a pen box, there is some protection necessary - otherwise the lacquer will soon suffer.  But such an inset is probably not commercially available. So today, I decided to make one by myself - using Japanese paper "Washi". I chose a paper in which gold and silver flakes are mixed into the fibres. It is quite thick and, additionally, the backside is coated with gold. (This gold and silver is certainly made from aluminium.) I folded the paper that the valley is 15mm broad and the crests are 5mm high. The backside then looks like this. Some adhesive into the crests.  A little bit of persuasion with some clip

For Sale

These pens are all for sale now at http://www.mkengel.de/pensales/pensales.html   The Big Ones Counting from the left: pen 1-2 are Pelikan Souveraen M1000 in F: one is sold and one is kept on hold pen 3-4 are Montblanc 149, probably F - one has been sold, one is available pen 5 is a Sailor KoP Standard, 21k nib in M: kept on hold pen 6 is the Dodeca made by Lotus Pens from India, it has a Bock #380 18k in F. This pen started as a custom pen request and became one of Lotus Pens' standard products. pen 7 is the Virat, also made by Lotus Pens . This Virat is slightly modified upon my request. It also has a Bock #380 18k in F.   Mixed  Pen 1 is a Sailor Profit21 (1911L), limited edition from the Japanese department store Mitsukoshi - eventually available Pen 2 is the piston filler Monte Grappa from Montegrappa in coral, with a steel nib in EF. When I bought it, either the maker or the seller added a box of cartridges. Very nice but I still haven't found out how I can