Skip to main content

Silver pens

 Just be cautious to know the difference between the different silver types if you buy a silver pen - I use some lines from Wikipedia - do not claim I could say it better.

 

Real silver

  • Fine silver is 99.9% pure silver.
  • Argentium silver (patented in 1998) is a brand of modern tarnish-resistant silver alloys, containing either 93.5%, 94% or 96% silver. Argentium alloys replace some of the copper in the traditional sterling silver (92.5% silver + 7.5% copper) with the metalloid germanium. Argentium 935, Argentium 940 and Argentium 960 alloys exceed the standard required for hallmarking as sterling silver, and Argentium 960 silver meets the standard for hallmarking as Britannia silver (95.84% silver).
  • Silvadium, Sterlium is 93% silver, and other metals
  • Sterling silver is an alloy composed by weight of 92.5% silver and 7.5% other metals, usually copper. The sterling silver standard has a minimum millesimal fineness of 925.

 

and then there is

  • Nickel silver, other names include maillechort, German silver, argentan, new silver, nickel brass, albata, or alpacca is a copper alloy with nickel, and often zinc. The usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc. Nickel silver does not contain the element silver. It is named for its silvery appearance, which can make it attractive as a cheaper and more durable substitute. It is also well suited for being plated with silver.

 

Investigate when a pen is described as a silver pen, it could be everything from real silver to silver-plated to fake silver. And, don't forget that a very thin tube of real silver over brass or resin qualifies the pen to be described as solid silver (or solid gold). There are just a few companies who use only silver tubes for cap and barrel. 

 

And, as it has to do with silver:

Silver-gilt or gilded/gilt silver, sometimes known in American English by the French term vermeil, is silver (either pure or sterling) which has been gilded with gold.

The US Code of Federal Regulations 16, Part 23.5 defines vermeil thus: "An industry product may be described or marked as 'vermeil' if it consists of a base of sterling silver coated or plated on all significant surfaces with gold or gold alloy of not less than 10-karat fineness, that is of substantial thickness and a minimum thickness throughout equivalent to two and one half (2+1⁄2) microns (or approximately 1⁄10000 of an inch) of fine gold."



These are vermeil pens.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waldmann - over the years

Preserving the Legacy A Note on This Research I am presenting these collected findings on Waldmann Pens to ensure that this historical data is preserved for the community, even after I eventually step away from active collecting. I would be deeply grateful for any corrections or additional information that fellow enthusiasts might be able to share to further complete this record. in progress Introduction "Gold und Silber mag ich sehr"—so goes the line of a classic German folk song. While the English equivalent, "I like gold and silver very much," is a simple translation, it became my personal mantra when I began collecting pens. Fate struck in 2017 in the form of a seemingly overlooked pen on Yahoo Auctions. According to the description, it was a Waldmann, crafted in Germany from sterling silver with a star-shaped guilloché pattern. Curiously, it languished through several auction rounds without a single bid. For four weeks, I checked back anxiously, watching and wa...

Waldmann Tuscany

I nearly missed buying this pen. Story of a near miss While scanning for gold and silver pens on Yahoo Auctions (Japan), I stumbled over an auction of a pen resembling very much a Parker 75, I have - see picture below. The pen was described being a Waldmann Tuscany Silver 925. This was the first time I saw a Waldmann fountain pen. I had heard the name before because a friend of mine is the proud owner of a Waldmann pen. However, because it was not cheap and resembled so much the Parker 75, I decided against buying it. Text written with the Tuscany Nobody else bought it either over several rounds (1 week each). But because of the Yahoo automatisms, it stayed on my watch-list. The more often I saw it, the more I got interested and finally thought some actions would be good to decide if I finally buy or not. I contacted the customer support of Waldmann, asking if the pen is for real or not. The nib marked "Schmidt Iridium Point" resembled very much the nib...

Beat your pistols into fountain pens

Have you ever thought what happens to old Police weapons when they are replaced by newer ones. Are they reworked, even sold to pistol sportsmen or to police forces of other countries? Not anymore! Due to the many problems with weapons being stolen or resold illegally, German police is not selling their retired weapons to anyone. Instead, they are sent back to the maker for recycling. In 2018, the Police of Lower Saxony in Germany had the idea to show their support for non-proliferation of firearms and a weaponless peaceful society. They thought, nothing can be better than following the reference of the bible which says: “... they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks....” [ Isaiah 2:4 ]. The idea was born to adjust this quote to modern times, producing a symbolic fountain pen from the metal parts of the retired weapons. When they contacted the German producer of silver fountain pens, Waldmann Pens in Pforzheim about this idea, ...