Skip to main content

Otto Hutt Fountain Pens: Design 06

When I visited Germany recently, I had the chance to buy my first Otto Hutt pen.

It is a Limited Edition which was produced for the 250th anniversary of the arrival of the first jewellery and watch factory in 1767 in Pforzheim (Germany). Details of the pen see it's brochure: LINK.
It was available with a steel nib or with a 18K gold nib, which of course, I choose. A gold pen needs a gold nib.

I also had the chance to borrow a standard model of this pen, black matte with a steel nib in F for comparative tests. 

Design

OH left, CdA right
The name of this pen is Design 06 - for further information see the homepage at Otto Hutt - Link1 (Design 06 page) and Link 2 (Configurator page). 

The pen is cigar-shaped, 14 mm at the belly and 9 mm at both ends. I like this design. I have some highly valued Caran d'Ache pens (modell Geneve from the 1990s) with very similar geometry (see photo left). 


Goldpen left, standard right
The photo on the right shows the Goldpen and the standard black matte together.

The Goldpen is of greenish-yellow-colour and has a gold-coloured feed section and a gold nib, the standard pen has a steel nib and a platinum-coloured feed section. 

In the Design 06 configurator (Link 02), you can truly make your own Design 06 pen, choosing nib sizes from EF to B, gold-, rose-gold-, platinum- or aubergine-coloured decorations, violet, pink, red, grey and blue cap and barrel colours - you can even choose different cap and barrel colours. In addition, there are pre-set design 06 pens in black, red, rose and white (see Link 01 above).

Some Design 06 pens from the configurator series. Foto: Copyright Otto Hutt


While the colours of the Design 06 pens are beautiful, I think that bringing out every year a different finish would make a nice set of collectible pens.






Some hard facts

Weights (it is fully made from Aluminium, so it is heavy)
  • Total                  43.1 g (Goldpen 43.4)
  • Cap                    12.6 g (12.9)
  • Feed assembly     8.5 g (8.8)
  • Barrel                22.0 g (21.6)
Lengths
  • Capped             13.8 cm
  • Uncapped         12.2 cm
  • Posted               15.6 cm
  • Nib                    19 mm * 7 mm
Quality
 
It is difficult to judge in just one week, but I didn't find any problems or faults. The coating and the mechanics of the pen look flawlessly. The threads seem to be especially well-made, a long thread to connect feed assembly and barrel and a short one for connecting cap with the rest of the pen. 
While the pen is provided with a short international cartridge, I used a converter instead. Sometimes I had to adjust the level of the ink in the converter which is a little bit cumbersome because of the long thread - lots of turning until I can access the converter - but fortunately it was not too often necessary. 
The short thread between cap and rest of the pen is helpful if you write like me, cap in the left hand. When I stop writing, I place the pen into the cap and close it.  Only 0.3 turns are necessary to fully close the pen.

Writing performance

I usually choose F-sized nibs for my pens. If I buy a Japanese F-sized Sailor pen, the line width is exactly what I want. If I buy a European pen, it is either a little bit broader or in the worst case it is similar to a Japanese M, sometimes even B. 

I was surprised when it arrived - it was exactly what I like, a pen with a nib which writes like a Sailor F, line width 0.4 mm.
The nib has some flex, more than I usually see in recent pens, but which I had and liked in my old Pelikan fountain pens from the 1980s.
The nib is smooth - despite being a F-sized nib - and has just a little bit feedback. The feed also didn't dry out when the pen rested for a while.

I also found out that this pen has no problems with my Kokuyo A6 loose leaf. I am dependent on this paper, so few of this size available in Japan. All my other pens (i.e. their nibs) have the same problem with it, the lines get too broad. With this pen, it is just the right amount of ink which is laid down on the paper.

Now, being already convinced of the steel nib, I hope that the gold nib of my un-inked Goldpen performs even better.

Conclusion

If you don't mind having a slightly heavy pen, then you can't go wrong with the Otto Hutt Design 06 pen. The pen feels well in the hand, the steel nib writes flawlessly.
It makes a great writer. I have used it the entire last week and consider it as a replacement for my standard daily users. 

Not to forget that the Design 06 pen is so much cheaper than my old CdAs were and the successor, the CdA Lemans are. 


The top of the Goldpen

The top of the standard pen (left) and the top of a Design04 pen.



(Thank you very much to Otto Hutt company for lending me the black Design 06 pen. I think you made a great pen.)









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slimming down

Update: I started selling - see my sales pages : In order to sell most of my pens, I first had to made up my mind what I want to keep. May I present here my target collection, the ones to keep. It is a page in progress, there are still many holes in the data. Waldmann Pens Counting from the left, pen 1-4, 7-10 are the same model: the model Precieux (Deep Wide) Lines in Sterling silver. Pen 8-10 are the original model (fountain pen, mechanical pencil and ball-pen). Pen 1-4 are the yellow-gold vermeil version of it (mechanical pencil, rollerball, ball-pen and fountain pen) and pen 7 is the rose-gold vermeil version of the fountain pen. The rose-gold fountain pen has a rose-gold-plated 18k nib. Pen 6 is the same model in steel, coated in black (Waldmann P2000). But it is not a typical steel, it is  a recycled steel from gun barrels recycled by the German police. It is a limited edition, meanwhile sold out. Read more about it here . Unfortunately, the silver model is meanwhile also ou

Pen box - Japanese style

My rotation pens rested in several boxes here and there on my book shelves. I always wanted them to be together in one box. So, I bought one at Yahoo Auctions. It is a wooden box lacquered with urushi, unused, stored hidden for many years in some drawers.  Nice, isn't it. It is an old storage box for writing tools and paper. But to use it as a pen box, there is some protection necessary - otherwise the lacquer will soon suffer.  But such an inset is probably not commercially available. So today, I decided to make one by myself - using Japanese paper "Washi". I chose a paper in which gold and silver flakes are mixed into the fibres. It is quite thick and, additionally, the backside is coated with gold. (This gold and silver is certainly made from aluminium.) I folded the paper that the valley is 15mm broad and the crests are 5mm high. The backside then looks like this. Some adhesive into the crests.  A little bit of persuasion with some clip

For Sale

These pens are all for sale now at http://www.mkengel.de/pensales/pensales.html   The Big Ones Counting from the left: pen 1-2 are Pelikan Souveraen M1000 in F: one is sold and one is kept on hold pen 3-4 are Montblanc 149, probably F - one has been sold, one is available pen 5 is a Sailor KoP Standard, 21k nib in M: kept on hold pen 6 is the Dodeca made by Lotus Pens from India, it has a Bock #380 18k in F. This pen started as a custom pen request and became one of Lotus Pens' standard products. pen 7 is the Virat, also made by Lotus Pens . This Virat is slightly modified upon my request. It also has a Bock #380 18k in F.   Mixed  Pen 1 is a Sailor Profit21 (1911L), limited edition from the Japanese department store Mitsukoshi - eventually available Pen 2 is the piston filler Monte Grappa from Montegrappa in coral, with a steel nib in EF. When I bought it, either the maker or the seller added a box of cartridges. Very nice but I still haven't found out how I can